No one wants to see a roof leak pop up in their home, as a roof leak could lead to a big headache and costly repair bills. If you are experiencing a roof leak, this knowledge can help you avoid the headache and expensive repair bill that comes with a leaky roof. Signature Exteriors has created a step-by-step guide on installing an emergency roof tarp.
If you are local to Charlotte, North Carolina, and surrounding areas and do not want to perform an emergency roof tarp yourself, give Signature Exteriors a call at (704) 729-4898. We offer emergency tarping services to temporarily stop any roof leaks from causing further damage to your home. This service will include an estimate to repair the leak.
How to Tarp a Roof
Step 1: Assess the Damage
Before completing an emergency roof tarp on your roof, you will want to inspect the damage visually. Then clear any debris from the area you plan to install the tarp.
Tips for Assessing the Damage:
- Avoid installing a tarp during the rain and wind
- Utilize the appropriate safety equipment and precautions
- Use a ladder to access the roof, and make sure to tie it off
- Do not get on the roof if you have a steep or slippery roof
- Assess the damage from the ladder
- Gently clear away any debris with a broom to provide better visibility of the roof’s surface
Step 2: Measure the Area
Once you have confirmed where the roof leak originated from, you will want to measure the area on the roof to ensure you purchase the correct size tarp. Remember that the tarp must cover the damaged area.
Step 3: Prep and Position the Tarp
You will want it properly positioned. The tarp should be laid out as flat as it can be placed over the area you are tarping so that it will not come loose from any gusts of wind. Typically using 1×2″ furring strips help secure the left and right sides.
Tips for Prepping and Positioning the Tarp:
- Partially unroll the tarp to cover the damaged area from the roof’s eaves to the peak.
- Create an anchor board by rolling the tarp’s peak-end with a furring strip. The board must be 2 feet longer than the tarp’s width and should sit evenly against the roof. Fix this board to your roof using a screw as a temporary anchor.
- Sandwich the tarp by nailing another furring strip to the first this will help ensure that the tarp stays taut so that your roof is fully protected.
- Repeat these steps for all 4 of the tarp’s peak ends.
- Position the sandwiched tarp across the ridge and down the roof’s side, ensuring it runs along the eaves line.
Step 4: Secure the Tarp
Lastly, fully secure the tarp to your roof to prevent it from flapping. Securing it will prevent water and debris from getting to the damaged area and causing more damage.
How to Secure a Tarp to the Roof:
- Secure the tarp’s remaining sides with more furring strips, using your screw gun and screws.
- Ensure that all edges of the tarp are secure. If the edges are not secure, your tarp will not effectively protect your home from further damage.
Where to buy an Emergency Roof Tarp
Insurance carriers want their policyholders to protect the home from further damage once a leak is identified. Most insurance companies reimburse a homeowner when provided with a receipt or invoice for the installed emergency roof tarp. It would benefit a homeowner to have a local roofing contractor come out and perform an inspection. The contractor can perform emergency services and estimate permanent repairs. Find a company that specializes in insurance claims, like Signature Exteriors.
If you are located in Charlotte or surrounding areas and have a roof leak and want an emergency roof tarp installed, give Signature Exteriors a call today! We are happy to come out and perform a free inspection of your home’s roofing system and install a tarp if needed to prevent any further damage to your home. We pride ourselves on providing quick and practical solutions to any issues that may arise on your roof and would love to assist you. Call us at (704) 729-4898 or email us at [email protected]signaturexteriorsinc.com, and one of our professional office staff will be in touch promptly.